Test Overview of Liver Detoxification Capacity ProfileThe efficiency of major pathways of liver detoxification can be evaluated by testing saliva and urine samples after provocation with measured doses of common over-the-counter medications (caffeine, asprin, acetaminophen). Not recommended for children under 12 years old.
Test Indications of Liver Detoxification Capacity Profile
- Suspected problems with detoxification of drugs or environmental toxins.
Sample Collection for Liver Detoxification Capacity Profile
- Avoid taking any medications containing asprin or acetaminophen (Tylenol) for 24 hours prior to starting the test and during the test.
- Avoid any foods containing caffeine (NoDoze, energy drinks, colas, tea, coffee, chocolate) for 24 hours prior to starting the test and during the test.
- Avoid alcohol, fruit, licorice, peppermint, nuts and seeds for 24 hours prior to starting the test and during the test.
- Do not collect urine sample during menstruation.
Your doctor or lab may have different instructions that supersede the above.
CPT CODES for Liver Detoxification Capacity Profile
Labs Performing Liver Detoxification Capacity Profile Test
|Name of Lab||Lab Code||Estimated Cost||Processing Time||Comments|
Costs cited are subject to change and may be reduced by insurance or cash discounts and increased by sample collection fees.
Theory of Liver Detoxification Capacity Profile
Urine Lipid Peroxides
Ratio Phase I/Phase II
References regarding Liver Detoxification Capacity Profile
[MM] Metametrix Clinical Laboratory.
Unless specifically noted above, references used in the construction of this web page include the following:
[FDM] Lecture notes from Functional Medicine University.
[SCNM] Lecture notes from Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine.
[UT] Lecture notes from the University of Tennessee graduate programs in Chemistry, Microbiology, and Biochemistry.